Open Studio Groups
What is “open studio?”
- “Open Studio” offers choices at Circle Art Studio.
- You will work in our larger Studio B space, choosing from a wide variety of art materials, most of which will be provided.
- You may choose to receive instruction and guidance while creating. Each participant is an independent artist working alongside other independent artists.
- Themes or demonstrations are offered at each group art therapy session for those who choose to have some direction.
- Group members participate in a supportive discussion about their artwork, techniques, and inspirations.
Individual or small-group art therapy takes place in Studio A.
What is Art Therapy? (www.arttherapy.org)
Art therapy, one of the expressive therapies, emphasizes the process of creating art in order to improve one’s emotional, physical, and/or mental well-being.
Art therapists offer the use of drawing, painting, and 3-D materials as instruments, to help people better express and understand themselves.
Artistic expression can offer a rich tool for self-discovery and a complex outlet for the release of emotions. A new language of communication develops.
Artistically resolved and reframed thoughts and feelings often promote healing, order, balance, and life-enhancement.
“He who looks outside dreams,
He who looks inside awakens.”
… Carl Gustav Jung
Benefits of art therapy
- Identifies and builds on individual strengths
- Elevates self-esteem
- Reduces anxiety, stress, and inner turmoil
- Aids self-control
- Improves problem-solving skills
- Provides a method for healing
- Develops social/emotional levels
- Promotes self-awareness
Reasons for seeking art therapy (treatment issues)
- Social Skills
- Educational Delays
- Short and long-term art therapy
- Individual and group art therapy
- Family art therapy
- Couples art therapy
- Adjunct art therapy
- Professional consultation
Art Therapy Forms
Upon request, we will send you intake forms. Please print, fill out, and bring them to your first art therapy session.
Both Emmy Lou Glassman and Sangeeta Prasad provide professional, individual and group, supervision for new and experienced art therapists.
Sangeeta offers supervision via Skype or FaceTime.